January 7, 2011

Because Everything Is Better with a Theme


I'm known for my great ideas. Go ahead. Ask anyone. So okay, a few days ago, I stumbled on the best idea I've EVER had: a theme for my 30th birthday!

I'm not just talking about a party theme–that kind of thing is for 29-year-old girls who still put their faith in the infallible prophetic powers of the Magic 8 Ball. (Incidentally...omigod! I totally asked my Magic 8 Ball if my 30th birthday theme was a good idea, and it said, "Ask Again Later"–I will totes ask it again tomorrow and let you know what it tells me!)

Anyway, I feel that it is wise and very grown-up to establish a theme for the important milestones in one's life. The seeds for the idea behind my 30th birthday theme were actually sewn when I was much younger...a preteen, or what is known today as a "tween".

At that age, my concept of what it would be like to be a single woman in her thirties centered mostly on my viewing of a certain TV show's reruns. Here's a pretty obvious hint:


Yes. The theme for my 30th birthday is...The Mary Tyler Moore Show. It's completely brilliant!

As a kid, I always thought Mary Richards had it made. She lived in the greatest apartment–her kitchen was microscopic and she had to sleep on a sleeper sofa because it didn't have a separate bedroom, but that was OK.

She threw frequent parties in this amazing apartment (something I aspire to do in my own house), where something would always go horribly wrong, but that was OK, too. In fact, it was more entertaining that way.

Most importantly, she was single and successful–she had her own life. That was more than OK; it's what the show was all about.

I want to celebrate my entrance into thirtydom by throwing my proverbial beret into the air and proclaiming the immortal words, "I'm gonna make it after all, even if the lady in the headscarf looks at me like I'm nuts." She can be the theme for my cranky old lady birthday...should I ever decide to grow old.

1 comment: